• PHONE: (204) 571-5340

History of Brandon

In May of 1881, General Thomas Rosser chose a location for a major divisional point of the Canadian Pacific Railway and named this new town site “Brandon” for the nearby Brandon Hills. With that, hundreds flocked to Brandon to gain a foothold in the new development and to reap the benefits of the rich and abundant farmland. They came quickly and before they could put up permanent structures, new habitants arrived and pitched their tents, sure to be charter participants in the new West. It grew so rapidly that it never attained the status of a village or a town, but became a city overnight. Brandon was officially incorporated as a city on May 30, 1882.

Source: Economic Development Brandon